As 2021 draws to a close, it is an excellent time to reflect on the year before jumping headlong into 2022. For many, this year has been a taxing one – another year trying to stay healthy with COVID in our midst, another year of restrictions and limitations as we strive to keep our communities healthy. Many of us are feeling exhausted and ready for rejuvenation.
Black and white thinking
But thinking back over the past 12 months, consider what went well and what you hope to carry with you into 2022. It’s easy to think in black and white, summing up the year as either a good or bad year. Loss of a loved one, divorce, job loss, or something else of value can obviously lead us to write the year off as bad. However, even in the worst years, it is possible to look back and consider the positive. We can’t always predict what curveballs life will throw at us, but we can choose to interpret those events in a way that either helps or hurts us. Events of the past year can be an opportunity to learn and develop or something that prevents you from growing and moving forward.
Here are a few questions to help you reflect on 2021 and help you grow:
- What are you grateful for? Even with the death of a loved one, you can be thankful for the time you spent with them, that they were present in your life or the positive impact they had on you.
- What insights did you gain about yourself, your friends and family, or life itself this year?
- What are you proud of from this year? It might be something as simple as creating a new garden bed, being less reactive in a relationship, or looking after your health.
- What new connections did you make? Did you meet anyone new, join an online group?
- What did you do well this year? Did you exercise more? Eat more healthily? Learn to be a better listener? Sleep better?
- What mistakes did you make? It is important to acknowledge that we are human and don’t always get it right. What would you do differently next time?
- How did you grow as a person? This is a great question to ponder, especially if you had difficult times in 2021. How did you rise to the occasion? What did you learn about your inner strength? Did your mistakes make you more compassionate? More humble? More forgiving of others?
Confidence for the New Year
It’s always great to jump into a New Year with hope and optimism. At Ondol Clinic, we look out at our beautiful garden, full of new life. Birds are nesting in our maple tree, the frangipani is in full bloom, kangaroo paws wave at us in the breeze, the scent of lavender wafts across the grass, and we are filled with confidence and hope.
Nature provides great solace. No matter what happens, the trees always bloom in spring, lose their leaves in winter, the days always get longer in summer, and birds fly south to warmer seasons in autumn.
Looking back at 2021, we look ahead to 2022 with confidence. It will be another year full of challenges but full, too, of opportunities to grow.
Thank you so much for travelling with us this year.
Please contact us if you would like one more treatment to see you through the silly season. Otherwise, we look forward to supporting you in your journey in 2022.